Pages

September 9, 2010

Podcasting

What I’m Reading Today: Not much. My time was wonderfully claimed by making homemade macaroni and cheese with my four-year-old twins. They did such a good job!

I’m working on figuring out how to podcast! Very cool, and very exciting.

I listened to a great interview with Scott Sigler on Author magazine, and he talked about how he serialized a couple of novels via podcasting and how they really took off after a while. He’s a publishing phenomenon.

So that got me thinking, my work is nothing as compelling as Scott’s but why couldn’t I read some stories? I don’t have a novel ready to serialize, but short stories would do nicely. Just another way for people to see if they like what I write. I already have a few clips up.  I know, for myself, I love coming across audio of an author I like, and I listen and relisten to it as I work. Who knows, maybe eventually I could interview people or add other things. But for now, just stories.

So I’ve create On-again Off-again Audio, which will be an occasional podcast on my website. I bought a good headset/microphone from Radio Shack and downloaded Audacity, a free audio editing software. I found Melody Loops, a site where I can get music clips to use for intros. I’ll have to pay for them, but they’ve got a great selection, and I like the idea of paying artists for their work. I tried the headset/microphone. After a number of false starts (okay, maybe 10), I got it to work and I’m recording! Now, all I have to do is figure out how to edit them and how to put a player on the page. Oh, and find some quiet space and time to record where the twins are asleep and our elderly deaf cat isn’t yowling at the top of her lungs.

If I were to serialize a novel, I might use Podiobooks. They give you tips, help you out, and even offer an RSS service.

Wish me luck on this new endeavor!

Questions of the Day: Have you tried podcasting? What do you think? Is it a good way for writers to get their stuff out there?

No comments: