Pages

July 26, 2010

SSFD ~ Week 8

What I’m Reading Today: I started Mark Spragg’s Bone Fire. He’s so amazing. Like Kent Haruf, the pace of his novels are so wonderfully slow and inexorable. He captures my Wyoming so beautifully. If you get a chance, read his memoir Where Rivers Change Direction ~ amazing. He grew up not far from where I did and under similar circumstance.

Okay, a very disappointing week for the Summer of Shitty First Drafts. I didn’t even get a line down. In my defense, I had a very busy week last week. (Excuses!) I signed with an agent, revamped my website, created a new blog, and researched platforming, in addition to, you know, taking care of twins and my husband and working my regular job. But, still, excuses!

The story I was going to write was called “Cindy.” It was taking the fairy tale “Cinderella” and converting it to a modern structure with scenes and interiority and an ambiguous ending. I thought it would be a hoot to write.

Boy, sometimes I wish I weren’t so pathologically honest!

Questions of the Day: Have you ever tried anything like my experiment with SSFD? How’d it go?

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Thank you, Aristiono. Yes, peace be with you. Thanks for visiting my blog!